About The North Point Gallery
After twenty-five years on North Point Street and over five years on Sutter Street, The North Point Gallery moved in 2000 to a street-level location at 407 Jackson Street between Montgomery and Sansome Streets in the historic Jackson Square district of San Francisco. Our gallery is in an 1860s building in what was once the “Barbary Coast” of the Gold Rush era. We continue to offer fine nineteenth-century and early twentieth-century American and European paintings with an emphasis on the art of early California, as well as traditional contemporary paintings.
Alfred C. Harrison, Jr., President: After ten years as a private collector and researcher, Alfred Harrison assumed ownership of the gallery in 1985. He is a lecturer and author of many articles (view list of publications) on early California paintings
as well as monographs on William Keith, L.P. Latimer, and Thaddeus and Ludmilla Welch. In 2006, he wrote an essay and catalogue entries for California Impressions: Landscapes from the Wendy Willrich Collection published by the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. He is currently at work on a history of nineteenth-century California painting and a monograph on John Ross Key. Alfred Harrison was the guest curator for "The Golden Age of Yosemite Painting, 1859-1930, A Centennial Tribute," at the Transamerica Pyramid Lobby, San Francisco, CA. in 1991 and “Before the Bridge: 19th Century Paintings of the Golden Gate,” Transamerica Pyramid Lobby, San Francisco, CA in 2000. He also curated the San Francisco venue of the Gilbert Munger retrospective at The North Point Gallery in 2004 and the Bolinas Museum’s “Pastoral California: The Art of Thaddeus and Ludmilla Welch” in 2007.
Richard J. Pettler, Vice President-Acquisitions
Jessie Dunn-Gilbert, Director
Amy R. Harrison, Assistant Director